You can’t have Easter without carrot cake. Well, you can, but it won’t be as fun. Besides, one slice is a serving of vegetables for the day. Getting your veggies in your dessert? You just ran out of excuses not to indulge.
Like most of my recipes, this is extremely simple and straightforward. Novice and first time bakers, give it a whirl. This cake is so delicious, even if it’s not decorated to perfection I promise it will be a hit.
When it comes to additions to the cake, anything goes. Raisins, walnuts, anything you like. Or you can omit them altogether. To add a little extra flavor and texture, I’ve added shredded coconut. Completely optional.
DIANA’S ULTIMATE CARROT CAKE
Ingredients ~ Cake
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups finely shredded carrots
1 cup shredded coconut (optional)
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup walnuts
Ingredients ~ Cheese Cheese frosting
1lb (2 blocks) cream cheese
8 oz unsalted butter
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups powdered sugar
- Use non-stick baking spray and/or parchment paper to line bottom and sides of one 13×9-inch pan or two 8-inch or 9-inch round pans.
- In mixing bowl, beat granulated sugar, brown sugar, oil, vanilla and eggs with electric mixer on low speed until blended.
- Add flour, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda, and the salt.
- Remove mixing bowl from mixer and stir in carrots, nuts, raisins and coconut by hand. Pour into pan(s).
- Bake 13×9-inch pan 40 to 45 minutes, round pans 30 to 35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely on cooling rack.
- In mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla with electric mixer on low speed until smooth. Gradually beat in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time until all of the powdered sugar has dissolved.
- Ice cake as desired.