I call these cookies ‘holiday crack’ for a reason. There is nothing like a warm snowball (or Russian Tea Cake in some circles) melting in your mouth. You tell yourself you’ll just have one… Yeah, that doesn’t happen. If you like to work out, double up. These cookies are worth it.
A few tips to make things easier:
*You want to roll the cookies in the powdered sugar the minute they get out of the oven. They will be HOT. Use a spatula to carry the cookie to the bowl or you’ll burn yourself. Gently roll it in the powdered sugar with a light touch (think of it like an egg). Gently, gently.
*Don’t over bake the cookies. If you do, they won’t absorb the powdered sugar. Also, they will crumble when you bite into them.
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup finely chopped nuts
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 400ºF.
- Mix butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar and the vanilla in large bowl. Stir in flour, nuts and salt until dough holds together.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until set but not brown. Remove from cookie sheet. Cool slightly on wire rack.
- Roll warm cookies in powdered sugar; cool on wire rack. Roll in powdered sugar again.