There is nothing I love more than an appetizer that is inventive, easy, and you can make it your own. Organic? Go for it. Gluten free? Totally works. You can even use those free range organic eggs you have your eye on. Be healthy or be bad and fry them with those onion rings. Ridiculously versatile. A definite Super Bowl game winner.
A few tips:
*To make the egg stick to the zucchini, coat in flour (regular or gluten free) before dipping it the egg. (Calories are minimal, I swear.)
*I like to use Olive Oil spray instead of regular. It has a nice, nutty flavor to it.
*If you’re using regular bread crumbs, try Panko bread crumbs. They bake up with a great texture and give that ‘restaurant look.’ (If that’s a thing.)
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 eggs beaten
3 zucchinis (trimmed, halved and cut in 1/4 inch strips)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Stir bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese together in a shallow bowl. Whisk eggs in a separate shallow bowl.
- Working in batches, dip zucchini strips into egg mixture, shake to remove any excess, and roll strips in bread crumb mixture to coat.
- Transfer coated zucchini strips to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake zucchini fries in the preheated oven, turning once, until golden and crisp, 20 to 24 minutes.